Reckon your garage door is burglar-proof? Find out whether your Garage Door Security is as secure as you think it is.
Believe it or not, an unsecured garage door can be broken into in a mere 10 seconds. If someone tries to get into your garage whilst you’re tucked up in bed, it’s unlikely that you’ll have enough time to do anything whatsoever about it. Scary thought, right? But more alarming still would be a burglar gaining entry into your garage which also happens to be integral to your house. Before you know it, you’ve got an intruder with the freedom to roam around your entire property. Eek!
Whether your garage is 2 years old or been home to your vehicle for the last 10 years, it’s always best to review your garage door security options.
Check Your Current Security Features
Most new garage doors will come with excellent security features as standard to ensure your home is fully protected from thieves. However, the panels on older garage door types tend to be poorly constructed and flimsy with fragile locks or latches, making them incredibly easy to break into. If you have an old garage door with a basic level of security, it’s best to replace it right away.
When it comes to newer models of manual garage doors, they should all be fitted with the following security features:
- A main anti-snap Euro-cylinder lock
- Two locks on either side of the door
- Protective bars to prevent the locks from being pried open
To further enhance security, you can install a motion sensitive light and an alarm system on the front of your home.
What about Automatic Garage Doors?
It doesn’t take a genius to work out that an automatic garage door is an extremely secure solution but you still need to ensure your access control system doesn’t leave your home vulnerable to break-ins. Take handheld remote controls for example. They must be kept safe at all times to ensure they do not end up in the wrong person’s hands. If you find yourself leaving your remote controls in places you shouldn’t, consider installing a digital keypad where you have to enter a code to activate the electric garage door.
The Most Secure Garage Door Types
All new garage doors will have a good level of security but there are few variations that pose more of a challenge to unwanted visitors trying to gain access to your property. Here are the door types that we believe offer the best garage door security.
- Sectional garage doors – These doors offer fantastic security strength and come with a more complex door mechanism. As the doors are built in sections that open upwards and curve into the garage, they have to be supported by a sturdy frame system. They are incredibly hard to force open and feature an internal locking system to eliminate weak spots.
- Roller garage doors – Thanks to their design, roller garage doors can’t be broken into from the outside and have no obvious weak points of burglars to attack. These doors open vertically by curling into a roller system fitted above the opening to further enhance their strong security properties.
- Up and over garage doors – Nowadays, up and over garage doors can be fitted with multi-point locking systems, which makes it virtually impossible for an intruder to force entry. These locking systems also create high levels of noise when under attack and act as a deterrent to burglars.
Want a price on a new garage door from trusted suppliers and installers in the UK? Simply ask one of our experts today!